Satisfactory Academic Progress | BridgeValley



Satisfactory Academic Progress

To receive financial aid administered by BridgeValley Community and Technical College,students must be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward completion of an eligible degree. For this reason, students’ SAP for financial aid is calculated each semester to verify they have met all Federal SAP standards. Federal regulations require academic progress be evaluated both quantitatively and qualitatively. Students receiving assistance from any of the following aid programs must meet ALL the standards of Satisfactory Academic

  1. Progress: Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
  2. Federal Work-Study Programs (FWS)
  3. William D. Ford Federal Direct Education Loan (DL) Program including:  
                a. Subsidized Loans 
                b. Unsubsidized Loans 
                c. Parents’ Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
  4. West Virginia and other State Grant and/or Scholarship Programs

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress include Cumulative GPA, Completion Ratio, and Maximum Hours.

Cumulative GPA  
Associate Degree
Hours Attempted    Overall GPA 
0-29                            1.50 
30-44                          1.75
45+                             2.00
Certificate Degree
Hours Attempted    Overall GPA 
0-15                            1.75 
16+                             2.00


Note:  The attempted hours and GPA used in calculating Satisfactory Academic Progress must include credits that may not be calculated in an academic GPA, examples including but not limited to, developmental courses, academic forgiveness including D/F repeats, transfer credits etc.

Completion Ratio 

All students must maintain a 67% percent completion ratio throughout their program of studyTo calculate your completion ratio, you divide the total number of credit hours you have passed by the total number of credit hours you have attempted.  Attempted hours include all college classes you started including classes you withdrew from, failed, took at another college, or received an incomplete in.


Maximum Hours  
Federal regulations require a maximum time frame for completion of a degree or certificate. A student will not be eligible for Title IV federal aid if the degree is not completed within 150% of the normal credit hours required to complete the degree or certificate program. Financial Aid will be suspended for students who have attempted 90 or more credit hours for a two year degree or 45 credits for a certificate.  The number of attempted credits used in determining maximum timeframe will include transfer, remedial, failed and withdrawn credits.

If a student changes their course of study, the hours attempted under all courses of study are included in the calculation of the maximum time frame. The Financial Aid Office will review a student’s eligibility at the end of each semester and will notify students if he/she will no longer be eligible for federal aid programs (grants and loans) for any future semester.

If a student has previously completed an associate degree, or a bachelor degree, all financial aid will be suspended and the student has the right to submit an appeal and must submit an academic evaluation to the Financial Aid Office.

If a student has met all requirements to receive a degree in his or her stated major, the student must apply for graduation. Change of major is not an option. Refusal to graduate in the intended major will result in financial aid suspension.

Students who have exceeded maximum hours are limited to 2 major changes. Students are permitted to change majors at any time; however, this may result in financial aid suspension.

Please Note: Withdrawal, academic forgiveness, incomplete, repeated and non-credit remedial hours are counted for the calculation of hours attempted and GPA. In cases of repeated courses, a student may continue to repeat a failed course and receive Financial Aid until it is passed. A student, who has exceeded the maximum hours for his or her major, may not receive Financial Aid to repeat courses on the academic evaluation that are failed or withdrawn. Students may only attempt 30 semester hours of developmental (remedial) courses. Once a student has reached the 30 semester hour limit, Financial Aid may not be used to pay for further developmental (remedial coursework), new or repeated.

A student is eligible to receive Financial Aid for one repeat when repeating a previously passed course to obtain a higher grade.

  • Allowable: Repeated coursework may be included when determining enrollment status in a term-based program if a student needs to meet an academic standard for a particular previously passed course, such as a minimum grade.
  • Not permissible: A student enrolls in four classes in the fall semester and passes only three of them; the institution requires the student to retake the failed class and also the other three classes because of failing the one class. When the student repeats all four classes in the spring semester, the failed class would be included in the student's enrollment status, but the three classes passed would not be.

Transfer and Readmission  
Students who transfer into BridgeValley Community and Technical College in the fall or spring term with one or more semesters of classes and who do not meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements will be automatically placed on financial aid suspension and must appeal the suspension. Students seeking readmission to BridgeValley Community and Technical College in the fall or spring term and who do not meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements will be automatically placed on financial aid suspension and must appeal the suspension. 
Transfer and readmission students who have completed one semester of classes prior to entering or re-entering BridgeValley Community and Technical College will be required to submit a financial aid appeal if they

  • Are on academic suspension with the Academic Affairs’ Office
  • Have exceeded the maximum hours allowed (Section V)

Transient students should seek financial assistance from their home school.

First Time Freshman Students  
First time freshman students will be awarded financial aid, providing they are in good academic standing and meet all eligibility requirements to receive federal and state funds.

Provisional Admissions  
Students who have a provisional admission status will not be granted financial aid until fully admitted to the college.

Students who do not meet academic progress status of non-compliance                  

  • Suspension Status - Students are placed on financial aid suspension status after one semester.  Students on suspension cannot receive financial aid. Students will be removed from Financial Aid suspension and/or probation when in compliance with the GPA and Hours Passed rules. Students cannot exceed the maximum hours allowed.
  • Probation Status - Probation status is granted to students who have successfully appealed.  Students can receive aid during their probationary period after signing and submitting a financial aid appeal Contract to the Financial Aid Office.
  • Warning Status - Warning status may be granted to students with extenuating circumstances (i.e.: A student who was forced to withdraw due to an accident or illness. Appropriate documentation must be provided.).
  • Maximum Hours Evaluation Status - Maximum Hours Evaluation status is granted to students who have successfully appealed. Students can receive aid during this period after signing and submitting a financial aid appeal contract to the Financial Aid Office.

Appeal Process  
The student may submit documented reasons to the Financial Aid Office for failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress.  The academic progress requirements may be waived based on written procedures below. Any appeals granted must be well documented as they would otherwise be violations of federal standards.  Due to the condense timeframe, appeals are not processed for summer terms.  Students on financial aid suspension will need to pay for any summer costs on their own.

Request to Appeal Satisfactory Academic Progress Suspension   
Waivers or appeals may be decided by the Director of Financial Aid or their designated representative in Financial Aid.  The following documentation must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office:

  • Appeal Form and Academic Plan for Improvement
  • Letter of Extenuating Circumstances
  • Supporting Documentation


Deadlines for Appeals  
Students planning to appeal should appeal as soon as they are notified of their financial aid suspension.  Tuition and fees are due by the specified date set by the Business Office each term.  In order to avoid difficulties involved in late payment of tuition and fees, students should submit the appeal promptly and observe the deadline dates.
For an appeal to have meaning, the appeal must be granted in time to allow the student’s award to be processed before grades are released for that semester.  In addition, student loans cannot be processed after October 25th for the fall semester and March 25th for the spring semester.  Federal regulations require that once the standing of a student is known, then the award must reflect that information.  Thus, a student granted an appeal before the end of the semester and awarded after the end of the semester may become ineligible for the award by the time the award is granted.  Financial aid appeals cannot be retroactive.

Appeal Procedures  
The student must submit a Financial Aid Suspension Appeal Form to the Financial Aid Office, using the official college Appeal Form, and include documentation to support the reason for granting an appeal.

Appeals cannot be processed if the student is placed on Academic Suspension with the Academic Affairs’ Office.

The Satisfactory Academic Progress standing can be appealed when one of the following conditions exists:

  • Illness or injury of the student
  • Illness, injury, or death of a family member
  • Natural Disasters  i.e.: floods, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, or earthquakes
  • Criminal acts inflicted on the student or student’s family. For example: terrorism, kidnapping, or theft.
  • Military involvement i.e.: draft or US service duty
  • Emotional problems supported by documentation from a counseling agency, counselor or psychiatrist.
  • Documented errors of an official designated representative of the Vice President of Academic Affairs resulting in unacceptable academic progress.
  • Legal entanglements  i.e.: divorce, child custody, extended jury duty or bankruptcy

Students will be informed within fifteen (15) business days of the appeal decision once all documents are received.

Glossary of Terms

  • Academic Year - An academic year consists of the fall and spring semesters and may include a following summer session.
  • Direct Loan - See William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan Program.
  • Federal Workstudy (FWS) - A federal need-based work program available to many students if they are in compliance with this policy.
  • GPA - The cumulative Grade Point Average is reported in the Banner Student System. The GPA used in calculating Satisfactory Academic Progress must include credits that may not be calculated in an academic GPA, examples including but not limited to, developmental courses, academic forgiveness, transfer credits etc.
  • Hours Attempted - We count, in hours attempted, every credit hour one has ever taken at a college or university of higher education.  The hours attempted include only those hours from colleges and universities from which BVCTC accepts credit.

 *Note that we count all hours even if they do not count toward the degree at BVCTC.  Successfully completed hours, failed hours, withdrawals, incomplete, repeated and non-credit remedial hours are all used in the calculation of hours attempted.

  • Hours Passed - These are semester hours for courses where a grade of D or better has been earned.
  • Maximum Hours - The maximum hours allowed for a degree or certificate.  This is shown in section V of this policy.
  • Pell - A federal need-based grant available to eligible students if they are in compliance with this policy.
  • Probation Status- The status granted after a successful appeal.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress - Satisfactory progress is compliance with the academic progress policy as stated in this document.  The policy has three major components: GPA, maximum hours and hours passed.  The maximum hours and hours passed have to do with attempted hours also defined in section XIII.
  • Semester - A semester is one academic term which may be defined as fall, spring or summer term or combined parts of term.