Thanks to a $1.58 million grant from the American Electric Power Foundation, thousands of high school students in Kanawha County will be able to explore careers in STEM – science, technology, engineering, and math – and earn college credits while still in high school.
About the Grant
- $1.58 million in grant dollars
- 5-year commitment
- Impacting estimated 2,200 students at six schools
- West Virginia is projected to have 10,000 engineering and technician jobs that will need to be filled according to recent research
Through the grant, BridgeValley will work with Nitro High School and Riverside High School, as well as their feeder middle schools, to implement the Credits CountSM program. Credits Count is the signature program of the AEP Foundation. With it, high school and middle school students will be introduced to STEM career fields. The program also helps students close learning gaps so they are ready to study college-level courses while still in high school.
- After School Programs
- Family Engagement Activities
- Hands-on STEM Curriculum
- After School Programs
- College Readiness Assessments
- Summer College Preparation
- Faculty Development
- Dual College Credit Courses
The Credits Count program will identify and engage students that may not be considering STEM-based careers, or possibly a college education at all. This approach of STEM engagement at the middle schools and early high school levels will prepare students for early enrollment, hands-on college coursework in STEM-based fields. By graduation, students will have earned credits that count toward a certificate in a STEM-related career or a college degree in fields that include advanced manufacturing and computer and information technology (what specifically at BV?). The five-year program is expected to reach approximately 2,200 students.
- IT Systems Analyst: $75,000 - $79,999
- Machinist: $35,000 - $39,999
- Electro-Mechanical Technology: $45,000 - $49,999
- Chemical Process Technology: $40,000 - $44,999
- Computer Specialist: $40,000 - $44,999
- Electrical Technician - $50,000 - $54,999
The salary data ilisted is supplied by Economic Modeling Specialists International historic labor market information, which is compiled from 90+ data sources, and updated quarterly to ensure the most precise regional figures. Median salary figures represent all career postings in the BridgeValley service region.
For more information please contact:
1201 Science Park Drive
South Charleston, WV 25303
Phone: (304) 205-6734