Prepare for a position in a hospital, cardiologist office, surgery center, and more! Meet the demand for cross-trained health professionals by adding EKG Technician skills to your current résumé.
EKG Technicians perform ECG tests that record and monitor electrical impulses transmitted by the heart. An EKG Technician administers diagnostic cardiac tests to patients pre-surgery or who may have cardiac problems. The tests help detect and monitor medical conditions such as heart disease, arrhythmias, pericarditis, and angina.
Our comprehensive 72-hour EKG Technician program walks you through each step to prepare you to function as an EKG Technician and to take the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) Electrocardiograph Technician national exam. Students will practice with equipment and perform hands-on labs including: an introduction to the function and proper use of the EKG machine, the normal anatomy of the chest wall for proper lead placement, and 12-lead placement.
Following the completion of the classroom portion of the course, students will be scheduled for 48 hours of clinical practice in a local medical facility. Clinical practice assignments are approved and arranged by the instructor.
- Anatomy of the heart
- Medical disease processes
- Medical terminology
- Medical ethics
- Laboratory assisting
Upcoming class schedule
- Dates & times:
- Aug. 10 - Nov. 2, 2020
- Mondays & Wednesdays
- 4:30 - 7:30pm
- Advanced Technology Center (also known as Toyota Hall)
- Turn onto Union Carbide Drive from Kanawha Blvd.
- Then make an immediate turn left onto Science Park Drive
- Delivery format:
- Content will be delivered online as well as in the classroom
- Clinical practice will be on-site at local medical facilities
Tuition & Materials
- $1,955 (includes 72 hours of classroom instruction, textbooks, equipment, national certification exam and study guide, and all related materials.
- This class is approved for 4 hours of college credit; a posting fee of $35 per credit hour applies.
- May be available for those who qualify.
- Complete the 2020-21 FAFSA application and list BridgeValley as one of your schools.
- Then complete the application for the Workforce HEAPS grant.
To receive updates:
- Join our EKG Technician Mailing List.
- Call 304.205.6650