Diagnostic Medical Sonography is a dynamic profession that has grown significantly over the past 20 years. With rapidly developing new technologies and increased use of diagnostic ultrasound procedures, growth is projected to continue in the future with employment opportunities for qualified sonographers in both rural and urban areas nationwide.
|Quick Facts: Diagnostic Medical Sonographers and Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians, Including Vascular Technologists|
|2016 Median Pay||$64,280 per year|
|Typical Entry-Level Education||Associate's Degree|
|Work Experience in a Related Occupation||None|
|Number of Jobs, 2014||122,300|
|Job Outlook, 2014-24||17% (Much faster than average)|
|Employment Change, 2016-26||21,000|
Sonographers play a key role in the healthcare team. They are highly skilled professionals that provide diagnostic techniques under the supervision of a licensed physician. BridgeValley will offer the following learning specialties in sonography:
- General: Abdomen, Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Small Parts
- Vascular Technology
How to Apply
- Apply for Admission to BridgeValley
- Have any official high school and/or college transcripts sent to BridgeValley.
- Choose Pre-Sonography (DMS) as your designated curriculum
- Complete required pre-requisite courses
- NEW REQUIREMENT for 2019: Take the TEAS examination and submit results with program application minimum score of 50: http://www.bridgevalley.edu/teas-testing
- Submit Shadow a Sonographer Form
- Write a letter detailing why you are choosing sonography as a career
- Submit Diagnostic Medical Sonography Application for Spring 2019
- When you click on the link for the application it will download the file on your computer.
- If you see it on the bottom of your web browser, right click on the file to open in Adobe Acrobat.
- Complete the file and save a copy on your computer
- Then click submit to automatically email a copy of the file to email@example.com
- You will recieve an reply email confirming your application has been recieved
- Submit Diagnostic Medical Sonography Application Checklist
BridgeValley DMS Fall 2019 Admission Timeline
|Applications accepted for 2019 admission:||January 21, 2019-March 8, 2019 (No Exceptions)|
|Notification of interviews or non-acceptance for those not qualified for interview mailed by:||March 19, 2019|
|Interviews:||March 27, 2019|
|Scoring of interviewed applicants completed by:||April 4, 2019|
|Acceptance and non-acceptance letters for DMS program admission Fall 2019 mailed /emailed:||April 4, 2019|
|Students must accept or decline (may be provisional) acceptance to the program by:||April 11, 2019|
*Admission in the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is not guaranteed. The highest ranked students that meet the qualification deadlines will be provisionally admitted first.
The BridgeValley Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is accredited by the Commission on
Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee for
Diagnostic Medical Sonography for General Sonography (Abdomen, Small Parts, Obstetrics, & Gynecology) and Vascular Technology.
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)25400 US Hwy 19 N., Suite 158 Clearwater, FL 33763 727-210-2350 www.caahep.org
- JRCDMS 6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500 Ellicott City, MD 21043 Phone: 443-973-3251 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
DMS Program goals include but are not limited to the following:
- To prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
- To prepare competent entry-level vascular technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
- Click here to view DMS Program Outcomes
Kim Shamblin, MPH, RDMS, RVT, RDCS, RT(R)(CT), CHC
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Chair
BridgeValley Diagnostic Medical Sonography is delivered on the South Charleston campus.