Diagnostic Medical Sonography is a dynamic profession that has grown significantly over the past 20 years. With rapidly developing new technologies and increased use of diagnostic ultrasound procedures, growth is projected to continue in the future with employment opportunities for qualified sonographers in both rural and urban areas nationwide.
|Quick Facts: Diagnostic Medical Sonographers and Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians, Including Vascular Technologists|
|2016 Median Pay||$64,280 per year|
|Typical Entry-Level Education||Associate's Degree|
|Work Experience in a Related Occupation||None|
|Number of Jobs, 2014||122,300|
|Job Outlook, 2014-24||17% (Much faster than average)|
|Employment Change, 2016-26||21,000|
Sonographers play a key role in the healthcare team. They are highly skilled professionals that provide diagnostic techniques under the supervision of a licensed physician. BridgeValley will offer the following learning specialties in sonography:
- General: Abdomen, Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Small Parts
- Vascular Technology
Now Accepting Applications for Fall 2018 Admission
NOTE: DMSU 100-Introduction to Sonography (online course) will be offered summer 2018 (June 11-August 9th) if class enrollment is sufficient.
How to Apply
- Have any official high school and/or college transcripts sent to BridgeValley.
- Choose Pre-Sonography (DMS) as your designated curriculum
- Complete required pre-requisite courses
- Shadow a sonographer and write a letter detailing why you are choosing sonography as a career (click here for the Shadow form)
- Apply for admission into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program*
- Apply for admission to BridgeValley
Applications for Fall 2018 admission will be accepted January 22, 2018 thru March 9, 2018. No exceptions!
|Applications accepted for 2018 admission:||January 22- March 9, 2018|
|Notification of interviews or non-acceptance for those not qualified for interview mailed by:||March 16, 2018|
|Interviews:||Week of March 26, 2018|
|Scoring of interviewed applicants completed by:||April 5, 2018|
|Acceptance and non-acceptance letters for DMS program admission Fall 2018 mailed /emailed:||April 6, 2018|
|Students must accept or decline (may be provisional) acceptance to the program by:||April 13, 2018|
*Admission in the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is not guaranteed. The highest ranked students that meet the qualification deadlines will be provisionally admitted first.
The BridgeValley Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is accredited by the Commission on
Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee for
Diagnostic Medical Sonography for General Sonography (Abdomen, Small Parts, Obstetrics, & Gynecology) and Vascular Technology.
DMS Program goals include but are not limited to the following:
- To prepare competent entry-level general sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
- To prepare competent entry-level vascular technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains
Kim Shamblin, MPH, RDMS, RVT, RDCS, RT(R)(CT), CHC
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Director
BridgeValley Diagnostic Medical Sonography is delivered on the South Charleston campus.