The Student Success Centers are located in Room 031 Main on the South Charleston Campus and in Room 401 Davis Hall on the Montgomery Campus.
1. Tutoring: The SSC coordinates a variety of peer, faculty, and volunteer tutors in core academic subjects. This service is free to all BVCTC students. Students who are experiencing difficulties with class assignments, challenging exams, or under-developed study skills are encouraged to utilize our tutoring services. The schedule and list of subjects can be picked up in the SSC as well as viewed on our website.
2. Testing Services:
- Accuplacer Testing: The testing center administers the Accuplacer Placement exam that measures entry-level skills in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics.
- Exam Proctoring: The SSC proctors exams for online courses at BridgeValley for no cost to the student. To schedule a proctored exam with the BVCTC Student Success Center please contact the center at least 48 hours in advance (excluding weekend starting at 4:00PM on Friday until 8:00AM on Monday) of the test date and time you would like to take the exam. For exams during finals week the earlier you schedule the better. To schedule an exam by email, you can email Christie Linger-Hunt at Christie.Linger-Hunt@bridgevalley.edu for the South Charleston campus or Tina.Spaulding@bridgevalley.edu for the Montgomery campus. When emailing to schedule an appointment you will need to indicate your name, which campus you would like to schedule your test for (South Charleston or Montgomery), which course you would like to take your exam for, your instructor's name, your preferred date and time to take the exam, and your phone number in case we need to contact you. To schedule an appointment by phone for the South Charleston campus you can call 304-205-6670, or for the Montgomery campus 304-734-6619. Please have the previous information ready. Students are also welcome to make an appointment in person, room 031 Main or 401 Davis.
- TEAS Testing: For those students looking for a degree in Nursing, the SSC will be offering the TEAS test that will assess a student’s readiness for the Nursing Program.
- FISDAP Testing: For students wanting to gain entrance into the Paramedic program at BVCTC we administer the paramedic entrance exam in coordination with the academic program.
- CertiPort Testing: For BVCTC students wanting to gain certificates in Microsoft Office we administer the certification exams in coordination with individual programs of study.
- Clep Testing: The SSC is an authorized CLEP Center. Students have an opportunity to CLEP out of certain classes offered at BVCTC as well as other colleges. The cost and schedule will be available in the SSC.
3. Reviews: The SSC offers Midterm and Final exam reviews for most math classes. We also offer reviews for other courses upon request.
4. Freshman Advising: Our team of advisors will meet with you to discuss your educational and career goals, then they will help you design an academic plan that best fits your needs. All new students will meet with an advisor before registering for classes.
- Early Alert: Through the Early Alert system, students are identified through referrals from the faculty and staff to provide customized services for those students early in the semester. The Coordinator of Retention and Freshman Advising will contact student(s) to discuss issues that may require attention and resources to support them.
- Academic Success Workshops: Our Retention Specialist will hold a series of workshops for students on Academic probation. These workshops give students the resources they need to achieve academic success in the future.
- October 31-November 25: Stay on Target! Come to the Student Success Center for a chance to earn rewards while you get tutored.
The Student Success staff members look forward to serving each student from the first day of class until graduation.
Christie Linger-Hunt, Director of Student Success
Connie Keiffer, Coordinator of Retention and Freshman Advising
Tina Spaulding, Student Success Specialist