The mission of the Student Success Center is to provide effective academic assistance, professional testing, student assessment services, tutorial services, and academic advising on our South Charleston and Montgomery campuses that will ensure success for all students at BridgeValley.
The Student Success Centers are located in Room 031 B2000 on the South Charleston Campus and in Room 401 Davis Hall on the Montgomery Campus.
The Student Success Center (SSC) is a great place to find a tutor who has specific knowledge about the subject you are studying. The Center provides peer, faculty, and volunteer tutors in core academic subjects. Whether you have a one-time quick question or need in depth help over a series of sessions, the tutors in BridgeValley Student Success Center can provide support with class assignments, challenging exams, or study skills. Walk-in tutoring (no appointment needed) is available for a variety of subjects during the times posted in the current semester tutoring schedule. For tutoring assistance in a subject not listed on the schedule or during a time not listed, please see a Student Success Center staff member the next time you visit.
Tutoring Schedules are subject to change depending on tutor availability.
Are you interested in receiving tutoring without having to come in to the Student Success Center? Check out Brainfuse, the online tutoring services used by BridgeValley.
- Click here for the South Charleston Spring 2018 Tutoring Schedule
- Click here for the Montgomery Spring 2018 Tutoring Schedule
2. Testing Services
- Accuplacer Testing:
Taking the Accuplacer: The testing center administers the Accuplacer Placement exam that measures entry-level skills in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. ACCUPLACER uses the latest computer-adaptive technology and the questions you see are based on your skill level. Your response to each question drives the difficulty level of the next question so it’s important to give each question as much thought as you can before selecting your answer.No one passes or fails ACCUPLACER tests, but it’s important to complete the test using your best effort, so you and your college have an accurate measure of your academic skills. Any placement score (ACT, SAT, or COMPASS, etc.) older than five years is not valid for placement; students with scores older than five years must take current Accuplacer exam for initial course placement.
Click Here for Accuplacer Testing Policies and Exam Scheduling
- Exam Proctoring: The SSC proctors exams for online courses at BridgeValley for no cost to the student. To schedule a proctored exam with the BVCTC Student Success Center please click on the Exam Proctoring link above for instructions.
- TEAS Testing: For those students looking for a degree in Nursing, the SSC will be offering the TEAS test that will assess a student’s readiness for the Nursing Program.
- CLEP Testing: The SSC is an authorized CLEP Center. Students have an opportunity to CLEP out of certain classes offered at BVCTC as well as other colleges. The cost and schedule will be available in the SSC.
3. Reviews: The SSC offers Midterm and Final exam reviews for most math classes. We also offer reviews for other courses upon request.
- Early Alert: Through the Early Alert system, students are identified through referrals from the faculty and staff to provide customized services for those students early in the semester. The Coordinator of Retention and Freshman Advising will contact student(s) to discuss issues that may require attention and resources to support them.
- Academic Success Workshops: Our Retention Specialist will hold a series of workshops for students on Academic probation. These workshops give students the resources they need to achieve academic success in the future.
For more information on Student Success Center events please check the website calender, watch for emails/BridgeValley/Facebook page, or email Beverly.Farrow@bridgevalley.edu
The Student Success staff members look forward to serving each student from the first day of class until graduation.
Connie Keiffer, Coordinator of Retention and Freshman Advising
Tina Spaulding, Student Success Specialist