Skip to main content


Q. Where is the Financial Aid office?

A:  BridgeValley has two campuses with a Financial Aid Office on both campuses.

Montgomery Campus
619 2nd Avenue
Montgomery, WV 25136

South Charleston Campus
2001 Union Carbide Drive
South Charleston, WV 25303

Q: What is BridgeValley’s FAFSA (Title IV) code?

A: 040386

Q: What happens to my financial aid if my admission status is pending due to missing information?

A: You must be fully admitted (provisional admission is not acceptable) as a degree-seeking student in order to qualify for federal aid. Contact the Admissions Office at 304-205-6600.

Q: What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

A: All paperwork should be submitted to the BridgeValley Financial Aid Office by June 30 for fall, by November 30 for spring, and by April 15 for summer.

Q: I missed the deadline, can I still apply for financial aid?

A: Yes, you must be enrolled at the time funds are disbursed and you must be making academic progress. You should be prepared to cover your expenses from your own resources if you apply late.

Q. How do I get my books with financial aid?

A:  BridgeValley has an online bookstore which students may utilize for book purchases and rentals.  Students may choose to pay with a credit/debit card, check, money order, or financial aid.

Q. How do I use the financial aid option at Barnes & Noble?

A:  Financial Aid through Barnes & Noble is available to students who have enough financial aid or third-party funds (such as Rehabilitation, WIA, TAA, and Veteran’s) accepted to cover tuition charges, fees and the cost of textbooks.

Students who miss the paperwork deadline may not have the Financial Aid option available to purchase their textbooks.  In these cases another method of payment should be arranged.

Students will be notified via their school email when financial aid is available for use to purchase textbooks. You will use your school email address to create an account and your Student ID number to access your extra financial aid funds.

Q. What is Proof of Attendance and how does it affect me?

A:  Schools are required to verify that a student began attendance in all classes before financial aid awards can be disbursed. If the student fails to begin attending all classes the school must recalculate federal financial aid to reflect the actual enrollment. Students flagged for non-attendance are ineligible to receive financial aid.

If you are reported as not attending some or all of your classes, a completed Proof of Attendance Form must be provided to the Financial Aid Office.  Until a completed Proof of Attendance Form is provided you will not be able to receive financial aid.  For additional information about Proof of Attendance click here.

Q. How and when do I get my financial aid refund check?

A:  Disbursement of funds will occur once the Financial Aid Office has determined eligibility and authorized the Cashier's Office to apply payments to student accounts.  They then calculate the difference between a student's account charges and the amount of financial aid disbursed.  This difference is the amount of a student's refund.

Disbursement occurs the second Wednesday of classes after the add/drop period ends. Then disbursement occurs each Wednesday thereafter. If all requested documents are submitted by the published deadline dates, financial aid funds will be disbursed as scheduled. Please check the eligibility section for financial aid on MyBridge to determine if all paperwork has been received and satisfied. Money owed to BridgeValley will be deducted from financial aid funds and the difference amount/refund will be processed through BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc.

Q: What is the difference between a grant, a scholarship and a loan?

A: A grant is a gift. It does not have to be repaid, and it is based on the student's financial need. A scholarship is an achievement award which is usually based on academic grades, abilities, skills, test scores, class rank, etc. Loans are funds borrowed by the student and/or parent. Loans must be repaid including any outstanding interest.

Q. My Student Requirements screen shows no unsatisfied requirements listed, but I received an email that something was missing. What should I do?

A. Please re-check the information on your MyBridge account for items with the status of “Item Needed” or “Received Incomplete”.

Q: Is there a maximum income level that will make me ineligible for financial aid?

A: No. Income level does not automatically disqualify you for financial aid.

Q: What are the factors that determine need?

A: Most people have the misconception that income is the only factor in determining need. Other variables are considered such as: family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, and various allowances to income and assets.

Q: What are my chances of receiving financial aid?

A: The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some form of financial assistance will be offered at the school you choose. The assistance may include student or parent loans.

Q: In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?

A: Yes. In order to receive consideration for all programs you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. File the FAFSA as soon after October 1st as possible.

Q: Why didn't I receive an award email?

A: If you do not receive an award email, you should contact the Financial Aid Office. We may not have received your FAFSA or there may be additional paperwork needed. You may view any needed items on your MyBridge account or contact the Financial Aid Office at your local campus.

Montgomery Campus
619 2nd Avenue
Montgomery, WV 25136 
Pathfinder Hall, Mezzanine Level
[email protected]
South Charleston Campus 
2001 Union Carbide Drive 
South Charleston, WV 25303 
Main Hall, Room 012 
[email protected]

Q: What forms do I need to apply?

A: Initially, you need only to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  If additional information is needed, we will contact you via school email.

Q: What does it cost to attend BridgeValley?

A: Please see our Cost of Attendance page.

Q: Can part-time students receive financial aid?

A: Yes. A prorated amount of financial aid may be available for students who qualify.

Q: Will my aid change if I change enrollment?

A: Yes. Please contact our office to determine how your aid may be affected if you change enrollment status prior to the start of classes.  

Q: Do I need a separate form to apply for a Student or Parent Loan?

A: You need to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to begin the process. Once you receive your award email, you may contact the Financial Aid Office to inquire about a student or parent loan.

Q: How long after I complete my loan requirements before I can receive my disbursement?

A: If all required paperwork has been completed, please review our estimated disbursement dates.

Q: How can I apply for work study?

A: You may submit a Federal Work Study Application and up-to-date resume to the Financial Aid Office.

Q: Do I need to submit tax returns to the Financial Aid Office?

A: No, Please use the IRS Data Retrieval Option on the FAFSA. If this option is not available and you are selected for verification you will need to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript available from

Q: What does it take to be considered an independent student?

A: A student must be able to answer "Yes" to one of the dependency questions on the FAFSA.  If a student cannot answer "Yes" to one of the dependency questions but they feel they have justification to be classified as an Independent Student they should contact the Financial Aid Office to make a Dependency Override request.

Q: If my parents are separated or divorced, whose income is reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

A: The parent you live with should complete the FAFSA. If the parent you live with has remarried, the income of that parent and their new spouse (step-parent) must be used.

Q: What is the interest rate on my student loans?

A: Borrowers will have a variable rate adjusted annually (July 1). Your interest rate will not exceed 8.25%. Subsidized loans are need-based aid and interest does not accrue while you are in school. Unsubsidized loans are not need-based and the interest will accrue on a quarterly basis. You will receive a quarterly interest statement from the Loan Servicing Center. You may pay the interest if you choose, but you are not required to do so while enrolled in at least 6 hours.

Q: What is the interest rate on my parent loans?

A: Borrowers will have a variable rate adjusted annually (July 1). Your interest rate will not exceed 9%. Parent loans are repayable 60 days after the loan has been fully disbursed.

Q: Is the money I receive from financial assistance programs taxable?

A: Any scholarships, benefits, or grants (gift aid) received that exceeds the cost of tuition, fees, books, and required equipment and supplies is considered taxable income. Loans are not included in this calculation. Since you are required to report taxable awards to the IRS as income, you should keep a detailed record of all expenditures for tuition, fees, books, and required equipment and supplies. Housing and food are considered non-exempt, so money spent on these items is subject to income tax. For more detailed information, consult a personal tax advisor. Federal Work Study earnings are taxable and must be reported on tax returns.

Q: What should I do if my family's financial circumstances change after I apply for financial aid?

A: If a family's financial circumstances have changed due to death of a parent, divorce, separation, or loss of employment, they should contact the Financial Aid Office about a Special Circumstance request.

Q: Does the financial aid offered at one school transfer to another institution?

A: No. Financial aid does not transfer from school to school. Students planning to transfer to another institution should contact the Financial Aid Office at both schools to find out what is required.

Q: Is there any aid available if I decide to attend summer school and how do I apply?

A: If you plan to attend the summer sessions, you must notify the Financial Aid Office. Summer financial aid is generally limited to the remaining annual eligibility from the current year.

Q: What do I need to do if I need to take a class at another school while attending BridgeValley?

A: BridgeValley students may choose to take classes at another institution (the host school). You must request approval to take credit as a transient student.  The process to request approval should start with your academic advisor. The Financial Aid Office (at the home school) must have a copy of the completed transient form in order to request a consortium agreement. The host school must confirm enrollment using the consortium agreement before you can receive your financial aid.